Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Impossible Leap (Pt II)

"What I do is me. For this I came."

Well, I'm catching a break on rent next month, so for now there is coffee. :) (And apparently I have no shame about asking for money to continue this experiment in 'science as performance art'.)

Where were we?

Ah, teleportation. And this would probably be a good time to further explain why I'm skeptical about Observable Teleporation ever being achievable on human beings. Naturally, I have a story for this.

One night, many years ago, I was alone in a lab at work. Suddenly I became disoriented and slightly nauseated. The most accurate way to describe the feeling is that it was as though the entire universe had shifted and left me behind. Swearing up and down that I would never eat Swedish meatballs again, I was able to collect myself and make it through the rest of my shift. The next day I learned that my grandmother, who had been in a coma for several months, had died at the same time as I was contemplating the wrath of the Swedish meatballs.

One experience proves nothing, of course, but I subsequently had other experiences of a similar nature. They were enough to make me curious about what kind of fundamental connected-ness we might have to each other. Which brings us back to teleportation...

What would happen if a person were to be 'destroyed' in a manner consistent with Observable Teleporation, and then not 'recreated' until the classical signal (which tells what type of measurement to make of the entangled system) arrives and is put to use? What state, if any, would that person exist in? What would happen if the classical signal were never utilized and the teleported person were never 'recreated'? Would existence in the entangled 'information only' state (however temporary) represent a disturbance or disruption in our connected-ness, noticeable to 'sensitives' in a manner similar to what they notice upon the death of person?

Let's just say that I don't want to be among the first to test this idea...

No comments: