Wednesday, January 7, 2009

City at the End of Time

"They are fate-shifters, born with the ability to skip like stones across the surface of the fifth dimension, inhabiting alternate versions of themselves."

"Some call it luck, others fortune. We know it here as Chancing, which is great Will, consistently applied to random circumstance to guide favor..."

From City at the End of Time, by Greg Bear (2008).

And here I was thinking that I had a solid lock on my first science fiction novel. ;)

Now if we could just get a forward-thinking institute to host a conference on the fifth dimension... (cough) ... perhaps we could explore turning science fiction into science fact.

I have a sneaking suspicion that writing quality science fiction is actually a harder skill to master than doing quality science. Science fiction is notoriously forward-looking, while being grounded in concepts to which we can all relate. It reaches people who enjoy playing with ideas and thinking about things in different ways. You never know what a particular flight of imagination will touch off. (It was science fiction that put us onto state exclusion.) Someday I'd like to seriously try writing science fiction, just for the freedom of expression.

For the moment though, as I can now create a list of 'fiction with a 5th dimension', I shall do just that, keeping this post open for updates and/or reviews as I have time to add them. Your additions to the list are warmly solicited.

Fiction with a Fifth Dimension

Here, There, & Everywhere, by Chris Roberson (2005)
City at the End of Time, by Greg Bear (2008)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think that Jorge Luis Borge wrote a story called "The Garden of the Forking Path" that plays with the idea of navigating the multiverse, though I don't think a fifth dimension was mentioned. Other stories mentioning similar concepts are discussed in this article

http://www.csicop.org/si/2001-09/fringe-watcher.html