Thursday, February 26, 2009

We Are Not Alone

"The path of unification that science must follow is the path that physics and nature leads us down, not the path that some scientists decide that nature must logically follow, no matter how 'beautiful' or aesthetically pleasing those theories might be." - J.E. Beichler, JSE, 21, p. 541 (2007).

After saving the world, this seems a bit anticlimactic. ;) But if you are going to scent the hounds...

I've mentioned before that there were other 5-dimensional models. Physicists know what I'm talking about when I mention the Kaluza-Klien theory. (Google for wikipedia entry; link won't post correctly.) James Beichler is another physicist who is proposing a 5-dimensional model. Given the circles he moves in, you would think we would have talked, but no. A new theory of psi based on a fifth dimension? (What a shocking idea. ;)

I've read some of Beichler's work before finding this 2007 JSE article. It always seemed to me to be lacking a description of the experience of a fifth dimension. Not to belabor a point, but if you can describe your experience in each of the other four dimensions, then you should be able to do the same in a proposed fifth dimension. That point aside, this paper suggests that an additional dimension (a dimension of space) solves certain physics problems. I would suggest that you consult your physicist friends for their interpretations of the proofs presented in this paper. (Not because I think the proofs are accurate or inaccurate, but because I'm not really in a position to know either way.) I'm reading the paper because my curiosity knows no reasonable limits. I'll also attempt to parse and absorb the 6 pages of unbroken text on Beichler's 5-dimensional theory of psi. After I find some coffee.

[Note to self: Never blog before coffee.]

No comments: