Saturday, February 20, 2010

Time Enough At Last

This is either the start of something big, or the end of something beautiful.

Having lost my protected status as 'society's asset', I'm beginning to look for a home for this research. There just isn't time enough right now to do all the things that need doing (like reading somebody's new book on time). Ironically, this search has forced me to confront the fact that theoretical modeling is neither my forte, nor a great source of enjoyment for me. (It is, however, what scientists are supposed to do after they run their experiments. Test and refine.) Me? I tend to get too hung up on what doesn't work, rather than celebrate what does work.

What I am really good at (and what I actually enjoy) is teaching/training. I've done it in a variety of settings and subject areas, so I know that it's not so much the topic as it is the process. (And not everyone has the special kind of patience needed to deal with wayward students. ;) So I'm looking to land somewhere that can provide excellent teaching/training opportunities.

The other thing I'm good at is asking questions. For some time now, I've wanted to collect and post all the questions I've come up with along the way. Had I 350 years, I might have a shot at answering them all, but more than likely the answers are obvious to someone who has a different background. And now that blogger has enabled jump breaks, I can post all the questions in this blog, and update the list on a regular basis. Look for that post to appear soon.

[Confidential Aside: Don't get too excited; you still haven't accounted for a critical aspect of the actual experience. But I will try to celebrate a minute or two of vindication for/with you. ;) ]

No comments: